Friday, May 13, 2016

Every Once In Awhile I Get A Reminder

I've been feeling great. I recently just managed to push my Humira shot to 9 weeks. Janurary to March. When I do feel greatI forget how quickly I can not feel great, for a reason or simply no reason at all.

Wednesday morning I woke up from a pain in my foot. Normally my flares goes to my hands. This one did not. I took 5 mg of prednisone and some pain meds and went to drill (tennis), as I haven't been able to play much because of the weather.

A couple hours after the drill I could barely put pressure on my foot. I decided to get more aggressive and upped my prednisone in the afternoon by another 10 mg. That seemed to help so at night I only took another 5mg. The next day I could walk well and the majority of the range of motion came back. I did take the day off from activity (besides walking in the city to go to the PA Ballet).

I immediately starting to ween myself the next day as I was feeling better. Down to 10 mg. Today I am at 5mg. It's two days later. I don't like staying on prednisone longer than necessary. I try to keep it quick. Though that isn't always possible.

I've come to realize there are many reasons for this to happen.

1. This isn't medically proven, but, I'm sticking with it. When my immune system fights off a virus I have RA symptons. I am around kids all the time. They bring a lot of germs. Maybe I caught a bug.

2. With the non-stop rain I've had here in NJ I haven't been able to get out to play tennis, nor have I hit the gym. My daughter is a competitive dancer so I've been spending a lot of time sitting at rehearsal and competitions (where I am now). Out of routine. I believe I have to move. I don't care if it's getting in a pool and walking. Movement is MAJOR for RA.

3. When my shots were 4 weeks apart I would always get a little achy and sometimes have a quick flare around 3 weeks. My doctors tells me that means I still need the medicine. So if I am at 9 weeks the time frame is roughly the same. I started to panic and take the shot, but I waited and let "Satan's Tic Tac's" do it's thing.

4. RA needs no reason! NONE. I try to remind myself not to panic. This isn't longterm, nor does it mean the disease is kicking up. I managed to play in drill two days later and I felt great again, and a little sore. I ran a lot!

Keeping a journal is so important to understanding how our bodies are dealing with this disease. I cannot encourage anyone enough.

I've been reading some interesting articles and look forward to sharing them on this blog.

#RASucks

No comments:

Post a Comment