Monday, June 27, 2016

As the Humira Weeks Go By and Remember Your Muscles Too!

When I first started taking Humira it was in addition to Methotrexate. I had done plenty of research to know the combination can kick this RA into remission. I figured I would give it a try. I remember in the first weeks my pharmacy thought they could get medication to me so I would stretch the shot a few days longer. No way. It was the first I felt normal and within a week or so I would start getting pains and I knew I needed it, and I certainly did.

After a year I was taken off methotrexate. I had been continually weening down so the plan was successful. I was also moved to every three weeks between shots. Then every month. Then every 6 weeks, now I inject every 8-9 weeks. But one thing has always been consistent every when ween, every step down. I wanted to share it with you.

In the beginning when dosing 2 weeks I had pains about a week and a half in and then I would panic. It was early, at the slightest indication I was about to flare I was ready to go.

At a month it was 3 weeks. Same thing. Not so much panic but I could handle the flare with a quick short burst of Prednisone.

At 6 weeks it was about four or five weeks. I would take the shot and resume feeling normal every time.

At 8-9 weeks it's about five weeks into. Where I am now when I pulled my hamstring during a tennis match. First time ever. I knew that even though this was a muscle it was RA related because I felt achy and in pain, especially in my shoulder and that all went away when I pulled the hammie. I used a quick prednisone treatment to stop the flare.

Now and like everytime before if I get through this little phase I can put off that shot for a few more weeks. At least a couple weeks.

And don't forget that this disease can attack your muscles too.

No comments:

Post a Comment